Access this feature from: Performance ▸ Software Updater
Software Updater helps keep commonly used third-party software up to date to eliminate potential security risks. Malicious threats or hackers often use leaks in outdated software to access your PC. This feature displays the most popular programs installed on your PC and allows you to easily update them.
Note: the Software Updater feature in Avast Ultimate and Avast Premier allows you to configure automatic updates for your applications.
Turn on automatic updates
Next to Automatic updates, click the OFF slider so that it changes to ON. This action enables Avast to automatically download and install updates.
Note: this feature is available only in Avast Ultimate and Avast Premier. For all other versions of Avast Antivirus, you will be asked to upgrade before using Software Updater.
Update software manually
In the Outdated software list, tick the box next to one or more applications that you want to update and click Update Selected.
If Avast is unable to directly download and install an update, you are redirected to the vendor's webpage or another appropriate site to download the update.
Manage individual applications
In the relevant application panel, click the down arrow to perform the following actions:
- Verify the vendor details, current version, and new version of the application, if available.
- Click Ignore updates to exclude the application from updates. Note: we strongly recommend you do not enable the Ignore updates setting, as outdated software is highly vulnerable to hacker attacks. To uningore updates, tick the box next to an application in the Ignored software section, then click Don't Ignore Selected.
- Update the application manually by clicking Update.
To configure your preferences for Software Updater, click Settings (gear icon) on the Software Updater feature screen, or go to ☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Performance ▸ Software Updater.
On the Software Updater settings screen, configure the following options:
- Notifications about new updates(ticked nby default): ticking this option enables notifications every time an update for a third-party application is available.
- Automatically update if possible: ticking this option allows Avast to update your third-party applications silently in the background without asking for your permission first.
If Software Updater does not recognize an update:
- Click the refresh icon in the top-right corner of the Software Updater feature screen to update displayed application's information.
- Disable Automatic updates on the feature screen, and untick the box next to Notifications about new updates on the Software Updater settings screen to stop receiving update notifications.
- Visit the vendor page for the application you want to update, and ensure that the latest version is downloaded on your PC.