When you open Avast Antivirus, the status of your PC's protection appears. The status You're protected indicates that all protection components are enabled, and Avast is actively securing your PC. If critical issues need your attention, Avast may display an alert status and prompt you to resolve any issues. Read more...
Click Run Smart Scan to begin a comprehensive scan of your PC. Smart Scan merges Avast scan tools to detect malware and other issues, such as outdated software and poorly rated browser add-ons. Read more...
How do I keep my PC secure?
Avast Antivirus actively scans your PC for malware and other threats, and prompts you if an action is required. By default, Avast automatically updates virus definitions and notifies you if a program update is required.
If you have changed the default settings, ensure your PC's security by keeping Avast up to date. Go to ☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ General ▸ Update, and click More options in the Virus Definitions and Program sections. Read more...
How do I connect Avast Antivirus to my Avast Account?
Avast Account is a portal designed to help you manage your Avast subscriptions registered with the same email address you used to make the purchase.
To connect Avast Antivirus with your Avast Account:
- Go to ☰ Menu ▸ My Subscriptions.
- On the My Subscriptions screen, click Log in to your Avast Account.
Note: If you do not have an Avast Account yet, click Create an account to open the registration webform in your default internet browser, then enter your email address you used to make the purchase, create your password, and click Create new account. Alternatively, click Log in with Facebook or Log in with Google to register your Avast Account using your existing Facebook or Google credentials.
- Enter your Avast Account credentials and click Log in. Alternatively, click Log in with Facebook or Log in with Google to log into your Avast Account using your existing Facebook or Google credentials.
Your Avast Antivirus is now connected to your Avast Account. If you have already purchased an Avast product, check your subscription details for the connected Avast Account. Then click Continue to activate the subscription and return to the My Subscriptions screen. Active subscriptions appear under Subscription on this PC.
How do I scan my PC for potential threats?
You can select from the following scan options:
- Smart Scan
To perform a comprehensive scan of your PC, click Run Smart Scan on the main screen of Avast Antivirus. Smart Scan merges Avast scan tools to detect malware and other issues, such as outdated software and poorly rated browser add-ons. Read more...
- Predefined antivirus scans
If you suspect suspicious activity on your PC, you can apply a predefined scan. Go to Protection ▸ Virus Scans and select an option:
- Smart Scan: performs a comprehensive scan of your PC. This scan is also available on the main screen of Avast Antivirus.
- Full Virus Scan: performs an in-depth scan of your system, which checks all hard disks, rootkits, and auto-start programs.
- Targeted Scan: scans folders or external drives that you specify.
- Boot-Time Scan: performs a scan at bootup to detect and remove malware that is hard to reach after startup. The system drive and all auto-start programs are scanned, and all found archive files are unpacked.
- Custom scans: allows you to create and schedule your own scan, or run a Quick Scan.
Where can I specify what to do with detected threats?
To specify what each scan does when it detects a threat:
- Go to Protection ▸ Virus Scans.
- Click Settings below the relevant scan to open the scan settings, or go to ☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Protection ▸ Virus Scans and click the tab for the relevant scan.
- Scroll to Perform automatic actions during this scan, ensure the box next to this option is ticked, then select an action:
- Fix automatically (recommended): attempts to repair the file. If unsuccessful, moves the file to Virus Chest or deletes the file if neither action is successful.
- Move file to Virus Chest: sends the file to Virus Chest where the file cannot harm your system.
- Delete file: permanently removes the file from your PC.
To configure more Scan settings, go to ☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Protection ▸ Virus Scans. Read more...
Where is the history of my scan results?
To view your scan history, go to Protection ▸ Virus Scans and click Scan history.
You can view a list of completed scans, including the name of each scan, the date it was run, and the result. If a scan detects an issue, you can view a detailed report and apply actions to unresolved issues. Read more...
What are the key features of Avast Antivirus?
Avast Antivirus comes with several tools and features:
- Virus Scans: provides a range of scans to protect your PC from malware. Additionally, you can access Rescue Disk, which allows you to create a bootable version of the Avast Antivirus scanner on a USB or CD. Read more...
- Core Shields: displays the main protection components in Avast Antivirus. Read more...
- Virus Chest: allows you to isolate suspicious files and optionally send them to the Avast Threat Labs for analysis. Read more...
- Firewall (Avast Ultimate, Avast Premier, and Avast Internet Security only): monitors all communication between your PC and outside networks and blocks unauthorized communication. Read more...
- Wi-Fi Inspector: scans your network for vulnerabilities and identifies potential security issues that make your PC vulnerable to threats. This feature checks the status of your network, devices connected to the network, and router settings. Read more...
- Ransomware Shield (Avast Ultimate, Avast Premier, and Avast Internet Security only): protects your personal photos, documents, and files from being modified, deleted, or encrypted by ransomware attacks. Read more...
- Sensitive Data Shield (Avast Ultimate, Avast Premier, and Avast Internet Security only): scans and protects your personal sensitive documents against unauthorized access and malware. Read more...
- Webcam Shield (Avast Ultimate and Avast Premier only): prevents applications and malware from accessing your PC's webcam without your consent. With Webcam Shield enabled, untrusted applications can not capture images or videos and send the content outside of your PC to compromise your privacy. Read more...
- Real Site (paid Avast Antivirus only): protects against DNS (Domain Name System) hijacking to ensure you are not redirected to inauthentic websites, which can be used to acquire your sensitive information, such as usernames, passwords, and credit card details. Read more...
- Sandbox (paid Avast Antivirus only): allows you to run an application or browse the web in a completely isolated, safe environment. Read more...
- Software Updater: keeps commonly used third-party software up to date to eliminate potential security risks. This feature is available in all paid versions of Avast Antivirus, but has full functionality only in Avast Premier. Read more...
- Passwords: stores your passwords securely and allows you to access all of your accounts using one Master Password. Read more...
- Anti-spam (Avast Ultimate, Avast Premier and Avast Internet Security only): ensures that the inbox in your email management software is free from unwanted spam and junk emails. Read more...
- Data Shredder (Avast Ultimate and Avast Premier only): enables you to irreversibly erase hard drive partitions or individual files with sensitive data (such as user data or licensed software) so that the data cannot be restored. Read more...
- Do Not Disturb Mode: improves the performance of your PC while you use applications in fullscreen, by adjusting system settings and disabling unnecessary apps from running in the background. Read more...
What features are included in paid versions of Avast Antivirus?
The following paid versions of Avast Antivirus are available:
- Avast Pro Antivirus: comes with all features included in Avast Free Antivirus, and additionally includes Real Site and Sandbox.
- Avast Internet Security: comes with all features included in Avast Pro Antivirus, and additionally includes Firewall, Ransomware Shield, Sensitive Data Shield, and Anti-spam.
- Avast Premier: comes with all features included in Avast Internet Security, and additionally includes Webcam Shield, Data Shredder, and automatic updates in Software Updater.
- Avast Ultimate: comes with all features included in Avast Premier, and additionally includes the paid version of Passwords, SecureLine VPN, and Cleanup Premium.
What is Avast Ultimate?
Avast Ultimate is a comprehensive product package that includes Avast Premier, the paid version of Passwords, SecureLine VPN, and Cleanup Premium. Read more...
How do I install the Anti-spam component?
Anti-spam is only available as an additional installable component in Avast Ultimate, Avast Premier and Avast Internet Security.
To install Anti-spam:
- Go to ☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Privacy ▸ Anti-spam.
- Click Add / Modify Components.
- Tick the box next to Anti-spam.
- click Change, and when the change is complete, select Restart computer.
This component keeps your inbox clean from unwanted spam and junk emails when you use email management software, such as Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird. If you only access your web based email account via an internet browser, you can keep Anti-spam disabled. To check the anti-spam options of your email service provider, consult the provider directly. Read more...
What is Passive Mode?
Passive Mode disables all active protection, such as Core Shields and Firewall, so that you can use more than one antivirus program at a time without interfering with the performance of your PC or the reliability of antivirus detections. In Passive Mode, Avast Antivirus receives all virus definition and program updates that allow you to manually run scans to check for issues on your PC, however, Avast does not actively protect you. Read more...
Subscription and Registration
How do I activate a paid Avast subscription?
If you purchased any product via Avast Antivirus, your subscription is activated automatically. Otherwise, if you install Avast Antivirus after purchase, you need to select ☰ Menu ▸ My Subscriptions and manually activate the subscription via your Avast Account registered for the email address you used to make the purchase, or using your valid activation code from the order confirmation email.
Avast Antivirus automatically recognizes that the inserted subscription is for Avast Antivirus, the paid version of Passwords, SecureLine VPN, or Cleanup Premium. Read more...
Can I use a paid version of Avast Antivirus for a trial period?
Paid versions of Avast Antivirus can be used for a trial period. After the trial period, you can purchase a subscription to continue program service.
To purchase a subscription, click Buy Now on the main screen of Avast Antivirus, or visit the official Avast Store.
Note: Avast premium products, such as additional Passwords features, SecureLine VPN, and Cleanup Premium, are available in Avast Ultimate or require a separate, paid subscription.
How do I register Avast Free Antivirus?
Avast Free Antivirus can be used free of charge for home and non-commercial use. It is no longer necessary to register your Avast Free Antivirus as your initial free subscription automatically activates after installation. When your free subscription expires, you can let the program automatically re-subscribe itself.
Alternatively, you can go to ☰ Menu ▸ My Subscriptions and manually activate your 1-year free subscription. Read more...
How do I cancel the Continuous Subscription service for my Avast subscription?
If you activated the Continuous Subscription service, your current subscription is automatically re-subscribed upon expiration. You are notified in advance via email.
You can manage the Continuous Subscription option for your order by contacting Avast Support directly, or by following the instructions in the relevant article according to the subscription distributor:
How do I obtain a copy of my purchased subscription?
What should I do if my purchased subscription or activation code does not work?
If Avast Antivirus does not accept your activation code:
- Use our webform or your Avast Account to retrieve your subscription registered for the email address used to make the purchase, then activate the subscription again. Read more...
- If the subscription activation fails, uninstall Avast Antivirus using the Avast Uninstall Utility and restart your PC.
- Download and install the Avast Antivirus product version related to your purchased subscription.
- Go to ☰ Menu ▸ My Subscriptions in Avast Antivirus, and activate the subscription.
If these steps do not work, contact Avast Support for further assistance.
How do I resolve my protection status?
You can view the status of your PC's protection on the main screen of the Avast Antivirus user interface.
The green status You're protected indicates that all protection components are enabled, and Avast is actively securing your PC. When this status appears, no actions are required.
A yellow status indicates an urgent issue, which requires your immediate attention, while a red status indicates a critical issue with core antivirus components. If a red or yellow status is displayed, click the relevant action displayed below the status to ensure your PC is fully protected:
- Resolve: resolves an issue with active protection components, such as Core Shields.
- Turn On: enables components that help to ensure maximum protection, such as Firewall or automatic updates.
- Update: updates your Avast Antivirus to the latest program version.
- Activate / Reactivate: prompts you to select a subscription plan to activate Avast Antivirus.
- Restart Now: reboots your PC to complete an update of all Avast Antivirus components.
Note: If more than one issue needs your attention, you can click View All Issues. Then, select an action for each issue using the relevant drop-down menu.
How do I turn Avast Antivirus components on or off?
Many features in Avast Antivirus can be disabled temporarily for troubleshooting purposes. To enable or disable specific features in Avast Antivirus:
- Click ☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Search.
- Type the name of the feature you want to enable or disable, and click the search option that best matches the name of the feature.
- Enable or disable in one of the following ways:
- Click the slider so that it turns to green ON or red OFF.
- Tick the box next to Enable feature, or untick the box to disable it.
Note: We do not recommend disabling any feature indefinitely by selecting Stop permanently when prompted.
To install or uninstall Avast Antivirus components:
- Go to ☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ General ▸ Troubleshooting.
- Click Add / Modify Components.
- Tick the box next to a component you want to install, or untick the box next to a component you want to uninstall.
- Click Change.
- Wait while Avast installs/uninstalls the components.
- Select Restart computer when prompted.
Note: We do not recommend uninstalling any components unless it is for troubleshooting purposes. Read more...
How do I disable the Avast email signature?
By default, Avast Antivirus attaches an email signature to outgoing messages from mail clients, such as Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird. The signature informs recipients that the email has been scanned for malware.
To disable the Avast email signature:
- Go to ☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Protection ▸ Core Shields.
- Scroll down to the Configure shield settings section and select the Mail Shield tab.
- Untick the box next to Add a signature to the end of sent emails.
How do I enable Passive Mode?
To enable Passive Mode for troubleshooting purposes, go to ☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ General ▸ Troubleshooting. Tick the box next to Enable Passive Mode. You may be required to restart your PC.
Passive Mode temporarily disables all active protection, so that you can use more than one antivirus program at a time without interfering with the performance of your PC. In Passive Mode, you can manually run scans to check for issues on your PC, however, Avast Antivirus does not actively protect you.
Note: We recommend enabling Passive Mode only for troubleshooting purposes and for a limited time.
How do I reinstall Avast Antivirus?
To resolve certain issues with Avast Antivirus, you may need to uninstall and reinstall your product.
To uninstall Avast Antivirus:
- Download and run the unistallation utility from the link below:
- When prompted, click Yes to start your PC in Windows Safe Mode.
- Ensure the utility properly identified your Avast installation location and click Uninstall.
- Restart your PC, then delete the avastclear.exe .
To reinstall Avast Antivirus:
Why can't I save files when using my editing application?
The latest versions of Avast Ultimate, Avast Premier and Avast Internet Security include a new feature called Ransomware Shield. When Ransomware Shield is enabled, unknown applications are blocked from modifying files in folders where your personal data might be stored. Read more...
If you receive a notification that you cannot save a file while using an editing application, ensure the application is not in your Blocked Apps list in Ransomware Shield. Go to Protection ▸ Ransomware Shield and click Blocked / allowed apps. If the application is not in the Blocked Apps list, try adding it to the Allowed Apps. To do this, click Allow an App, select the application, then click Open.