Access this feature from: Privacy ▸ Anti-spam
Anti-spam ensures that the inbox in your mail management software is free from unwanted spam and junk emails. This feature applies to email clients installed on your PC, such as Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird.
Note: Anti-spam is only available as an additional installable component in Avast Ultimate, Avast Premier and Avast Internet Security. You can install this component during custom installation of Avast Antivirus or any time after via ☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Components ▸ Anti-spam ▸ Install component.
Manage Anti-spam activity
To enable Anti-spam, click the OFF slider on the Anti-spam screen so that it changes to ON.
To disable Anti-spam, click the ON slider and select a listed time duration. The slider then switches to OFF.
Note: If you access your web based email account only via an internet browser, you can keep Anti-spam disabled. To check your anti-spam options, consult your web mail service provider.
Adjust Anti-spam sensitivity
Specify how Anti-spam should filter spam messages:
- Relaxed: only use this setting if too many legitimate emails are being marked as spam.
- Strict (default and recommended setting): keep this setting enabled to maintain optimal spam filtering.
- No mercy: only use this setting if too many spam emails are getting into your inbox.
Manage Anti-spam settings
You can manage additional Anti-spam settings, such as marking spam messages and whitelisting/blacklisting emails, from ☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Components ▸ Anti-spam ▸ Customize.
The following options are available:
- Main settings: adjust Anti-spam sensitivity and manage additional Anti-spam settings.
- Whitelist: create a list of senders whose emails are never treated as spam and are always delivered as normal.
- Blacklist: create a list of senders whose emails are always treated as spam.
If after activating Anti-spam you continue to receive spam messages, you can adjust the Anti-spam sensitivity to a stricter setting. If you notice that Anti-spam is blocking several emails that are not spam, adjust the sensitivity to a less strict setting.
You can also configure Anti-spam to permanently block or allow certain email addresses or domains as follows:
- Go to ☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Components ▸ Anti-spam ▸ Customize.
- Select from the left panel:
- Whitelist to add emails to a list which is never blocked by Anti-spam.
- Blacklist to add emails to a list which is always blocked by Anti-spam.
- Enter the email address or domain into the text box.
- Click OK.
To add another item to the list, click Add. To remove an item from the list, click the relevant row and select Remove.