Access this feature from: Privacy ▸ SecureLine VPN
SecureLine VPN is a Virtual Private Network (VPN). A VPN functions as a private tunnel through the internet which encrypts your data and secures your connection when using public Wi-Fi connections such as those in cafes or airports.
SecureLine VPN has servers in several locations which means you can bypass geolocation restrictions as well as access your favorite content while traveling.
Note: SecureLine VPN is a paid feature and requires an activation code to use. An Avast Antivirus license does not cover SecureLine VPN.
Purchase a subscription
You can purchase a SecureLine VPN subscription from the Avast website or from Settings ▸ Subscription ▸ SecureLine VPN ▸ Buy now.
To purchase a subscription from the SecureLine VPN screen, follow these steps:
- Click Buy.
- Select your preferred subscription plan.
- Follow the on-screen payment steps to complete your purchase.
Note: You can also use a free trial version by clicking Try for free on the SecureLine VPN screen.
Activate your license
If you purchased SecureLine VPN via Avast Antivirus, your license is applied automatically. If necessary, you can insert your license manually using these steps:
- Go to Settings ▸ Subscription.
- Scroll down to the SecureLine VPN section, and click Insert it here.
- Locate your license file, and click Open.
- Click Yes to confirm subscription details.
Connect to SecureLine VPN
SecureLine VPN does not connect automatically when you start Avast Antivirus.
To connect to SecureLine VPN, click Go Private on the SecureLine VPN screen. By default, SecureLine VPN connects you to the Optimal location which provides the best connection based on your geographical IP address and server capacity. To end your SecureLine VPN session, click End Private Connection.
Change your location
Changing your VPN location can be useful to bypass geolocation restrictions or to access your favorite content while traveling.
To select a VPN location, follow these steps:
- Click Change location.
- Select your preferred location from the list, or click Disable custom location to reconnect to Optimal location. Optimal location provides the best connection based on your geographical IP address and server capacity.
Note: Locations listed with the text P2P allow peer-to-peer connections.
You may experience the following issues when using SecureLine VPN:
- Slow internet connection: a VPN encrypts traffic and data before sending it to a server. Depending on the distance and capacity of the server, this process may cause a slightly slower, but safer, internet connection.
- Unestablished connection: in some cases, SecureLine VPN may be unable to establish a connection.
If any of these issues occur, we recommend you try these troubleshooting solutions:
- Change your SecureLine VPN location.
- Check the configuration of your firewall. Firewall configurations vary according to the vendor/manufacturer; consult the documentation related to your Firewall service for information about running a VPN. Firewall in Avast Premier and Avast Internet Security is already configured to allow SecureLine VPN to connect.
- Disconnect any other VPN services. If you are connected to another VPN, it is likely that SecureLine VPN won't work properly.
- Confirm that your SecureLine VPN subscription is active. Go to Settings ▸ Subscription, and ensure there is a green tick symbol next to SecureLine VPN.
- Reinsert your SecureLine VPN license.
- Restart your PC and try to connect to SecureLine VPN again.
- Reinstall your SecureLine VPN component.
Note: If a specific server is down or temporarily overloaded, you may be redirected to another SecureLine VPN location.
Reinstall SecureLine VPN
To resolve certain troubleshooting issues, you may need to reinstall the SecureLine VPN component.
To reinstall SecureLine VPN, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings ▸ Components ▸ SecureLine VPN.
- Click the downward facing arrow to expand the SecureLine VPN section, then click Uninstall Component.
- Click OK to confirm the action.
- After uninstallation is complete, restart your PC, and go back to Settings ▸ Components ▸ SecureLine.
- Click Install Component.