Avast Cleanup Premium is a PC optimization tool that includes a range of scans which detect unnecessary items and performance issues to free up disk space and improve the speed of your system. After a scan, Avast Cleanup Premium allows you to manage any found issues.
If you are using Avast Cleanup Premium for the first time, click Scan Now to prompt an initial Maintenance scan. Alternatively, you can click Skip and select a scan by clicking a scan tile on the main screen.
The displayed percentage at the top of the Avast Cleanup Premium screen indicates the percentage of cleaning tasks that are complete.
Why do I need to clean my PC?
When used often, your PC's performance and reliability begin to decline, especially after you install new programs and software. Without regular cleaning, you may notice the following issues on your PC:
- Reduced performance
- Programs that crash or freeze
- Lack of disk space
- Popups from 'bloatware' programs
When you use Avast Cleanup Premium to scan for and resolve issues on your PC, you enhance your PC's performance, clear disk space, and eliminate unwanted programs and security risks.
What does Avast Cleanup Premium scan for on my PC?
Depending on which scan you run, Avast Cleanup Premium generally detects these major issues:
- Background & startup programs: programs and applications installed on your PC often come with background processes, Windows services, startup items, and scheduled tasks which run even when the corresponding program is closed. Avast Cleanup Premium scans for these programs so that you can put them to sleep and optimize your PC's performance.
- Junk programs: unnecessary programs which may have been pre-installed on your PC or installed unknowingly with other programs. Avast Cleanup Premium scans for and lists these programs with their corresponding rating so that you can decide which programs to uninstall.
- Windows registry issues: registry issues can result in program crashes and error messages. Avast Cleanup Premium scans for invalid startup entries, incorrect file type references, incorrect uninstaller entries, and missing fonts.
- Broken shortcuts: broken shortcuts occur when you uninstall a program but the shortcut remains. Avast Cleanup Premium scans for and removes leftover shortcuts on your desktop, in your start menu, and in a list of recently used applications.
- Tracking cookies: many browsers use tracking cookies to monitor your browsing tendencies and present relevant ads the next time you browse. Avast Cleanup Premium scans for and removes these files to protect your privacy and clear up disk space.
- Windows, programs, and cache files: Windows programs create logs and temporary files which are stored on your PC. Avast Cleanup Premium scans for and removes log, temporary, and cached files to clear up disk space on your PC.
How does Avast Cleanup Premium determine the ratings for Junk Programs?
During a Speed up scan, Avast Cleanup Premium scans for Junk programs installed on your PC. When you click the Junk programs button after the scan, you can view a list of programs and their ratings (out of five stars). To determine a program's rating, Avast Cleanup Premium uses a cloud-based rating system based on blacklists and whitelists, heuristic algorithms, Avast's Recommendation Engine, and user ratings. This makes it easier for you to determine which programs you want to keep and which programs you want to remove.
What is a Maintenance scan?
The Maintenance option performs a comprehensive scan of your PC which detects broken or redundant items in the system as well as tracking data stored on your disk drive (such as browser cache, cookies, and history). When the scan is complete, you can select which issues to resolve. Read more...
What is a Speed up scan?
The Speed up option scans for unnecessary programs as well as programs launched during system startup which are still running in the background. These programs may affect the speed and performance of your system. When the scan is complete, you can select which issues to resolve. Read more...
What is a Free up space scan?
The Free up space option scans for leftover files created by the system, programs, or installers (such as temporary, log, and cached files, including browser data) which may be taking up large amounts of disk space on your PC. When the scan is complete, you can select which issues to resolve. Read more...
What is a Fix problems scan?
Fix problems scans for unusual system settings which may be affecting the reliability of your PC's behavior. When the scan is complete, you can select which issues to resolve. Read more...
How do I receive Avast Cleanup Premium notifications?
Avast Cleanup Premium automatically notifies you when there are cleaning or optimization opportunities on your PC. Click the bell icon on the right-side panel of the main screen to access notifications. The Notifications screen displays a list of recommendations. Click Show next to a recommendation to resolve any issues.
You can specify which issues Avast Cleanup Premium notifies you about in Settings (the gear icon). Read more...
What is the Rescue Center?
If you are unsatisfied with changes made by Avast Cleanup Premium, you can go to the Rescue Center and undo changes made to the following components:
- Broken registry items
- Broken shortcuts
- Background & startup programs
- All components from the Fix problems scan
Click the rescue icon on the right-side panel of the main screen to access the Rescue Center, then click Undo next to the action you want to reverse. To specify which items you want Rescue Center to back up and for how long, go to Settings (the gear icon). Read more...
How do I manage Avast Cleanup Premium settings?
To manage Avast Cleanup Premium settings, go to Settings (the gear icon). You can manage the following settings:
- Your preferred language
- Issues you want to be notified about
- Backups for undoing changes made by Avast Cleanup Premium
- Your subscription details
- Troubleshooting options
Can I use my PC during a scan?
Yes, you can continue to use your PC while Avast Cleanup Premium performs a scan.
Can I undo changes made by Avast Cleanup Premium?
Yes. If you are unsatisfied with changes made by one of the Avast Cleanup Premium scans, you can go to the Rescue Center and undo certain changes made by Avast Cleanup Premium.
Can I schedule Avast Cleanup Premium to clean or optimize my PC automatically?
No. At this time, Avast Cleanup Premium does not have a scheduling option. However, Avast Cleanup Premium notifications are enabled by default and automatically alert you when there are cleaning and optimization opportunities on your PC. To manage which issues Avast Cleanup Premium notifies you about, go to Settings (the gear icon). Read more...