Access this feature from: Privacy ▸ SecureLine VPN
SecureLine VPN is a Virtual Private Network (VPN). A VPN functions as a private tunnel through the internet, which encrypts your data and secures your connection when using public Wi-Fi connections such as those in cafes or airports.
SecureLine VPN has servers in several locations, which means you can bypass geolocation restrictions and access your favorite content while traveling.
Note: a SecureLine VPN subscription is included in Avast Ultimate. Alternatively, you can purchase a separate SecureLine VPN subscription to use the component in all other versions of Avast Antivirus.
Purchase your subscription
You can purchase a SecureLine VPN subscription from the Avast website or in Avast Antivirus:
- Go to Privacy ▸ SecureLine VPN.
- Click Install Now or Open VPN if SecureLine VPN is already installed on your PC.
- On the SecureLine VPN screen, click the OFF slider.
- Click Buy now on the opened screen. (Alternatively, you can click Start Free Trial to get free access to SecureLine VPN for a limited time period.)
- Select your preferred subscription plan.
- Follow the on-screen payment steps.
Activate your subscription
If you purchased SecureLine VPN via Avast Antivirus, your subscription is activated automatically. Otherwise, if you install Avast SecureLine VPN after purchase, you need to select ☰ Menu ▸ My Subscriptions and manually activate the subscription via your Avast Account registered for the email address you used to make the purchase, or using your valid activation code from the order confirmation email.
Avast Antivirus automatically recognizes that the inserted subscription is for SecureLine VPN. Read more...
Connect to SecureLine VPN
To connect to SecureLine VPN click the OFF slider on the SecureLine VPN screen so that it changes to ON. To end your SecureLine VPN session, click the ON slider so that it changes to OFF.
Alternatively, you can right-click on the SecureLine VPN icon in the system tray and select Connect or Disconnect.
SecureLine VPN does not connect automatically when you start Avast Antivirus. Click ☰ Menu ▸ Settings on the SecureLine VPN screen to configure automatic settings. Read more...
Change your location
By default, SecureLine VPN connects you to your Optimal location, which provides the best connection based on your geographical IP address and server capacity. Changing your VPN location can be useful to bypass geolocation restrictions or to access your favorite content while traveling.
To select a VPN location:
- Click the Change Location button.
- Select your preferred location by clicking the country you want to connect to. If a country has a number next to it, click the down arrow to expand the section and select a location from multiple cities.
- Click Change Location to confirm the action.
Note: locations listed with the text P2P allow anonymous peer-to-peer file transfers.
Manage SecureLine VPN settings
To access the SecureLine VPN settings screen, go to ☰ Menu ▸ Settings. Select one of the following tiles in the left panel to manage its settings:
- Show SecureLine notifications (ticked by default): allows Avast to notify you when your VPN is enabled or disabled.
- Start SecureLine when my computer starts (ticked by default): enables SecureLine VPN to open when you start your PC.
- Automatically turn on VPN when the app starts: enables SecureLine VPN to connect when the application opens.
- Receive beta updates: tick this option to receive notifications about beta updates to SecureLine VPN. Beta updates may affect the stability of your VPN connection.
- Language: use the drop-down menu to change your preferred SecureLine VPN interface language.
- Network Security
- Turn on SecureLine when connected to unsecured Wi-Fi networks: select Turn on automatically to enable SecureLine immediately when you connect to an unsecured Wi-Fi network. Select Ask before turning on to receive a notification before SecureLine connects.
You may experience the following issues when using SecureLine VPN:
- Slow internet connection: a VPN encrypts traffic and data before sending it to a server. Depending on the distance and capacity of the server, this process may cause a slightly slower, but safer, internet connection.
- Unestablished connection: in some cases, SecureLine VPN may be unable to establish a connection.
If you experience any of these issues, we recommend these troubleshooting solutions:
- Change your SecureLine VPN location.
- Check the configuration of your firewall. Firewall configurations vary according to the vendor/manufacturer; consult the documentation related to your Firewall service for information about running a VPN. Firewall in Avast Premier and Avast Internet Security is already configured to allow SecureLine VPN to connect.
- Disconnect any other VPN services. If you are connected to another VPN, it is unlikely SecureLine VPN will work properly.
- Confirm that your SecureLine VPN subscription is active. Go to ☰ Menu ▸ My Subscriptions, then ensure that SecureLine VPN is listed under Subscription on this PC and is not expired.
- Reactivate your SecureLine VPN subscription.
- Restart your PC and try to connect to SecureLine VPN again.
- Reinstall your SecureLine VPN component.
Note: if a specific server is down or temporarily overloaded, you may be redirected to another SecureLine VPN location.