Mac Security Troubleshooting
The following Mac Free Antivirus issues can be fixed with small changes to the program settings.
What does the "Unable to Scan" message mean?
In the Avast Reports screen, the Unable to Scan message indicates that a complete scan was not performed on the number of files specified.
Encrypted files, ZIP archives, and system files which are in use often cannot be scanned. To view the non-scanned file details do the following:
- In the Avast program go to Reports and click Open next to the report details you want to view.
- In the scan report window right-click and choose Non-scanned.
The files marked Unable to Scan display with their directory paths and the error message they generated.
How to fix problems with sending and receiving e-mail
You can disable IPv6 in the Mail Shield preferences to fix problems with sending and receiving e-mail.
Note: this solution does not work on all systems.
- Click the Avast Menu bar and select Open Avast
- Click Avast, Preferences, and then the lock icon to change your Avast settings
- Go to Shields, Mail Shield and click Advanced
- Click the General tab and uncheck Enable IPv6
Sending and receiving emails work on most systems.
How to manually update virus definition updates
Go to Account, Updates and click Update Now.
How to enable the latest antivirus program updates
Enable Beta Channel updates to have the latest antivirus engine updates protect your computer:
- In the Avast main screen click Account, Updates.
- In the Program section check Use beta channel.
- Click Update Now and the latest protection downloads to your computer.
How to change popup settings
Go to Account, Popups to configure the following:
- Change the popup duration of Warnings, Alerts and Updates.
Note: promotional popups cannot be disabled on Avast Mac Free Antivirus
- Change the location that the popup screens appear on your screen
How to uninstall SecureLine VPN
If you wish to uninstall SecureLine VPN, do the following:
- Open the program
- Go to the File menu and choose Uninstall
- Follow the program wizard steps
Learn more about how Avast Mac Security protects your computer.