Access this feature from: Privacy ▸ Anti-spam
Anti-spam ensures that the inbox in your mail management software is free from unwanted spam and junk emails. This feature applies to email clients installed on your PC, such as Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird.
Note: Anti-spam is only available as an additional installable component in Avast Ultimate, Avast Premier and Avast Internet Security. You can install this component via ☰ Menu ▸ Settings ▸ Privacy ▸ Anti-spam ▸ Add & Modify Components.
Manage Anti-spam activity
To enable Anti-spam, click the OFF slider on the Anti-spam screen so that it changes to ON.
To disable Anti-spam, click the ON slider and select a listed time duration. The slider then switches to OFF.
Note: If you access your web-based email account only via an internet browser, you can keep Anti-spam disabled. To check your anti-spam options, consult your web mail service provider.
Adjust Anti-spam sensitivity
Specify how Anti-spam should filter spam messages:
- Relaxed: only use this setting if too many legitimate emails are being marked as spam.
- Strict (default and recommended setting): keep this setting enabled to maintain optimal spam filtering.
- No mercy: only use this setting if too many spam emails are getting into your inbox.
Manage Anti-spam settings
You can manage additional Anti-spam settings, such as marking spam messages and allowing/blocking emails, by clicking Settings (gear icon) in the top-right corner of the Anti-spam feature screen. Read more...
If you continue to receive spam messages after activating Anti-spam, set the Anti-spam sensitivity to a stricter setting. If you notice that Anti-spam is blocking several emails that are not spam, set the sensitivity to a less strict setting.
You can also configure Anti-spam to always block or allow certain email addresses or domains as follows:
- Click the Settings (gear icon) in the top-right corner of the Anti-spam feature screen.
- Select the Allowed or Blocked tab at the bottom of the Anti-spam settings screen.
- Click +Add Email or Domain and enter the email address or domain into the text box.
To add another item to the list, click +Add Email or Domain. To remove an item from the list, hover the cursor over the entry and click the trash icon that appears.